Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The "F" Word

WARNING: If you get easily offended from being called out..read no further.

SO, this past Saturday while I was at CrossFit a girl brought up our nutrition challenge.  She was asking a fellow member about how her's was going or if she was even doing it.  This same girl said the reason she was doing it was because she felt fat (okay, this girl is literally the identical size of me.  She's probably a little bit skinnier than I am).  One of my friend's said, "Alright, NO ONE is allowed to use the "F" word in front of me..fat that is."  Oh by the way, this girl is HILARIOUS, so go check out her blog: burpeesboxjumpsandbeer

I think my friend brought up a FANTASTIC subject.  I have noticed women in my classes talking about how their fat or need to lose a little here and there.  IT DRIVES ME INSANE when people do this.  WHY?  Other than the annoyance factor?  Well here are my reasons:

  • Bad for your self-confidence
Do you honestly think it will help you if you keep calling yourself fat..even if you say it jokingly? 
  • Bad for others' self-confidence/how they see themselves and their body
Don't forget that when you say something out loud, someone will hear it.  What if a young child heard you calling yourself fat over and over?  How do you think that will distort their view of body image and their own self-confidence?  Are you being the kind of role model you'd want a child you love looking up to??  I sure as hell know that I wouldn't want my baby cousin around ANYONE like that!
  • Bad for others' view of you
How will people start to view you if you constantly call yourself fat?  Sometimes when people constantly say that, I wonder if they are just fishing for compliments or sympathies like, "OH NO you're not!  You're so skinny and so pretty."  BARF!  Sorry, no free compliments from this girl!  I eventually stop bringing up any subjects that might lead to those statements or if it's bad enough; I stop talking to that person all together. 

Realistically, I just get annoyed, pissed off, and want to punch people in the cooter when they say that.  Instead, I take a deep breath in, deep breath out, and change the subject. 

Okay, END OF RANT!  Is there anything that grinds your gears?? 

Are you making sure you're being a role model worth looking up to?

PS- If you really do think you need to lose some weight, then eat right, workout, and BE PATIENT, but STOP putting yourself down!

No comments:

Post a Comment