Saturday, March 8, 2014

Holy Buckets…I'm Back!!! Updates GALORE!!

I think my life has finally settled down enough to allow me to start blogging again.

Since my last post I had started looking for a job, living pay check to pay check, and real life decided to kick me in the a$$ with my student loan bills!  I probably put on close to 15lbs of "who cares" weight and I had no motivation to workout besides when I taught cycling 5x a week.  I felt overwhelmed, stressed out, and disappointed in myself.

Needless to say the last half of 2013 was a struggle, but 2014 turned around for me!  At the very beginning of the year I was offered a job which helped with a lot of my stress.  I had also decided in 2014 that I wanted to conquer some goals.  I wanted to tackle things I had never tried before.  I was sick of being "down."

In February one such goal kind of threw itself into my lap.  I ran into someone at a bar in town who also happened to be a fitness competition coach.  Well I was probably over revealing because I had a few too many shots and talked to him about how I'd been wanting to do a competition for years, but just didn't know how to start, what to do, how it all worked, etc.

Well about a week later I ended up meeting with him to go over prep and how contests work.  I had a contest already picked out- NPC Duel of Champions here in Omaha on June 7th, 2014 (the day after my birthday).  I had always thought I would do a bikini competition, but he thought I'd do better in a figure since I am built broader.  We took some measurements and body fat percentage.  I started at 138lbs and a little over 24% body fat.  I check in with him every two weeks for measurements.  After a month I am down to 17.95% body fat and 130lbs.  This last time I went in I had my shoes, so I also got to practice posing for the first time.  Let me tell you it looks way easier than it actually is.  I've been practicing while sitting at work or driving in the car.  I want to do as well as I possibly can.

My shoes!
That is why I have been quite diligent with my prep I figure if I'm in this and I'm going to walk on stage in 13 weeks (OMG!!) why not go for it?  And so far I am loving it.  It has given me something to work for.  I am motivated again.  Not only are my clothes fitting again (which is always nice), but I feel better and I have more energy because I'm no longer eating whatever crap.

I know some people will think I'm crazy for doing it or wonder why.  The reason I'm doing this and have wanted to is to say I did it.  The dedication and will power it takes to compete is amazing to me and I want to prove to myself I have that same dedication and will power!  I have the most amazing support group around me to push me through this.  When I told a small group of my friends they didn't judge and immediately asked if they could come cheer me on when I walk on stage.

My awesome cheerleaders after one of my races- they were the loudest ones!

The biggest issue that has popped up so far is gum.  I started chewing gum to crave my sweet tooth.  Well apparently one day I chewed too many pieces of gum (yes, it's possible).  In case you didn't know there is an ingredient in sugar free gum called Xylitol, I believe.  Well it can't really be digested by your stomach and so the bacteria in your stomach feeds on it which can cause gas in your stomach.  That gas can then turn into massive, horrible stomach cramps.  It was awful- it didn't help to lay down, it didn't help to stand up.  Nothing made it feel better.  Well, I learned my lesson and backed WAY WAY off my gum chewing habits.  

Well, I think that is enough updating for now.  Watch out for my next post!  I'm going to review a brand new product (at least to me) and a couple of possible giveaways coming your way!!!

I'll leave you with this recent quote from Academy Award winner, Lupita Nyong'o.  I think it's quite fitting, don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment