Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Challenge Re-Do, Indoor interval training, and an Inner Challenge

Okay, first offs I did not do as well as I wanted with my goal of eating 70-75% of my diet last week plant based.  I was just so insanely busy and a lot of little things came up, so I didn't get it done (even though I know that shouldn't be an excuse).  I really want to do this one and succeed, so I'm going to give it another go this week.  Yesterday, I did a good job of it eating mainly eggs, vegetables, fruit, and salad.  I'm also prepared for today with more veggies and a new fruit that I just tried for the first time last week: Kumquats (YUMMMM).  If you've never tried them before...you should.  It's like an orange, but smaller!

Over the past couple of weeks winter has decided to show up here in Omaha (not that I missed it not arriving).  It has been snowing, dreary, and just plain COLD!  This has driven many, including myself, to doing my cardio inside.  Indoor cardio tends to make me irritable (unless it's my spin class) because I jump on the treadmill and the scenery never changes from the window I stare out of and the smelly, greasy muscle head is constantly huffing and puffing next to me.  I usually end up trying to turn on the TV and somehow zone out, but it never seems to be as good of runs as the ones I have outdoors.  Sunday night I decided to change it up a little.  I jumped on the elliptical and stair master because my knees were on fire from sitting in a car driving all day.  I turned on the TV and during the show I would go my slightly less than comfortable pace, so that I was still working hard and then during the commercials I took the resistance all the way up to 20 and worked as hard as I could to move as fast as my legs would let me during those 4 or 5 min.  I actually ended up enjoying my workout much more and working hard!!  So, hopefully winter will leave as quickly as it came, but until then don't think that your indoor cardio has to lag or become a chore..add some spice and push yourself!!

Lastly, a challenge I am posing for myself along with everyone else that reads this.  I've noticed a lot more (maybe it's because it's the winter and people tend to slack on their workouts and gain weight) that people are beating themselves up and trashing their bodies.  I constantly hear, whether I'm on campus, at work, or at the gym, women (and men) discussing how gross they think they look or how their pants never used to fit this tight.  I also have noticed that if one person says it out loud to their friends or whoever is listening, then the other people feel the need to join in and take a hit at their own body.  SO, my challenge is to change this and set a different example.  Yes, we all have things we want to change about our body, but in order to change we have to accept our bodies and love ourselves.  First off, I am not going to let myself think negative thoughts about myself, only positive.  When a negative one pops up I'm going to stop and remind myself of all the amazing things I have accomplished, like 4 marathons and becoming a spin instructor.  Next, I'm not going to join in the body bashing anymore.  When a friend or someone I know starts talking about how much they hate their body I'll not join in and preferably walk away.  That negativity is going to solve NOTHING..so why feed it?  Also, remember that everything you say falls upon someone's ears and do you really want it falling upon these ears??



Here's a little motivation for this positivity challenge: 
My motivational quote for this week is: You are much stronger than you can imagine.  You are worth it and deserve it! You got this!

Til next time and one step closer to a healthier and happier hardbody,
Mo

PS. Two weeks until my 66 flight climb at the Iowa Fight For Air Climb in honor of my grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment