Monday, February 27, 2012

Expanding My Knowledge and Capabilities

This weekend I got the chance to expand my knowledge and certifications in fitness!  I am now officially certified in TRX (suspension training) and Kettle Bells.  Both of these can be used by people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness capabilities.  They are a great way to diversify your workouts and challenge your body in a whole new way.  I especially was drawn in because I love seeing what else I can throw at my body and conquer (probably because of my trainer- she always has some new workout idea that pushes me to a new level I didn't know I had).  They also both speak to my athletic side.  The whole time we were learning about both of these techniques, Friday night and all day Saturday, all these amazing ideas were popping in my mind of what I could do with these to challenge athletes, since I want to become a Strength and Conditiong Coach, eventually.  Now I just can't wait to start teaching both of these :)

Kettle bells: a great addition to anyone's cardio/strength workouts.  It's applicable to people of every shape, size, and ability.

TRX: Another great addition to both cardio and strength training because it challenges your core and balance (LOVED THIS). 

Not only am I expanding my knowledge in fitness, but starting March 1, I will officially begin my triathlon training schedule, which will expand my capabilities in fitness as well.  Since the start of the year I have been running, biking, and swimming, but not according to a strict schedule, distance, or time.  This Wednesday is when I crack down with the help of my trainer's triathlon training schedule.  I am excited because over the next three months I will learn to move my body in a whole new way.  I've already noticed some crazy changes by adding all these different workouts.  I went running when I was visitng my boyfriend out of town and decided to run 6 miles.  Not only did I run it faster, but I also was less fatigued, the hills didn't seem to difficult, and my lung capacity has grown!  I'm loving these changes and can't wait to see what else will change. 

My challege for this week is a couple of things.  Nutritonally I want to try something new, so when I was at the store yesterday I bought kale, star fruit, and mango.  I made kale chips last night and I LOVE them!  They taste just like potato chips, but they're healthy!  I'll let you know how the star fruit and mango go! 


     
Kale chips                                      Star fruit                       
 

Fitness and nutritionally I want to challenge myself to stick to my schedules.  There are some days when I DO NOT want to get up with my alarm to go workout, but this week I don't want to let myself put off my workout because I tend to feel better throughout the day when I get my workout completed before everything else.  I have more energy and then once I'm done for the day I can go home and study instead of worrying about my workout AND studying AND dinner, while still trying to get to bed at a decent hour.  Also, nutritionally I want to stick to my planned out meals every day.  I don't want to allow myself to veer from it because usually I tend eat not as clean foods and then I tend to let myself slack more during that day.  To encourage myself (I know it will seem juvenile, but it works for me) I am going to place stickers on my calendar each day I complete both of these.  I am such a visual person that seeing those stars placed on each day will motivate me to keep working because I don't want to see a blank day. 

Lastly, something that I am noticing becoming more popular that I have a little issue with is seeing kids working out at the gym.  I see them with weights or on the treadmill.  Now I'm talking about a 15 or 16 year old; I mean a little 9, 10, or 12 year old kid working out!!  Now I'm not saying it's bad a thing to see them moving, but working out at the gym like an adult??  Maybe it's because of how I was raised, but my "workouts" growing up was playing basketball, baseball, soccer, kickball, etc. with my older brothers and the neighborhood kids.  Then if it was a rainy day we would play "lava" inside (you weren't allowed to touch the ground because it was lava AND you had to be the last man standing, so you were allowed to push everyone else onto the ground).  We were pushed outside by our parents and ddin't come back home unless we were hungry or it was time for dinner.  I don't know what has changed, but I think people should be encouranging their kids to be active outside with their siblings or friends, not sitting in front of a TV or computer and then going to the gym.  Kids will be A LOT more active and probably workout harder if they think they're playing a game, such as basketball, then if they're forced to get on a treadmill or bike and move.  But I'm not a parent, so I guess I can't tell people what to do, but I know that if I ever have kids they'll be playing tag outside before I let them jump on the elliptical.

Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong?

Til next time and one step closer to a hardbody,
Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment