Friday, July 20, 2012

Vacation=Not a Time for Quitting

I can't hold in my excitement of leaving in the early morning for vacation...AHHHHHHHHHHKAJLFKJ (was that enough for you to get the idea)??  I don't think I've been on a real vacation (where I just relaxed) for over a year.  I already warned work and other not so important places that I will NOT be answering my phone.  I am taking this next week and a half to relax and recoup.

Now, I know the biggest thing people fear about going on vacation is that they'll follow off their healthy lifestyle "wagon."  NOT TO FEAR I have already thought about this and worked ahead and am going to leave some tips:

1. PACK FOOD for the road trip- I have a 10-hr road trip in front of me and it is easy to slip into the gas station binge with chocolate candies and Cheetos.  Instead, I have packed veggies and fruit that can be eaten without making a huge mess.  Forgot to pack??  Just eat smart at the gas stations and restaurants.  You know deep down what's good and what's bad (donuts and pizza- bad, unsalted nuts and raw fruit- good)!
2. STAY ACTIVE- let whoever you are traveling with or meeting up with that you will have to fit time in to workout.  Luckily, my mother (whom I am traveling with) knows me and knows I will not miss a day, even though we're on vacation.  I also already arranged to borrow my Aunt's bike while we're on vacation and asked where open water would be located for some swimming, so my family knows that I have no intentions of slacking on my workouts.
3. REMEMBER YOUR GOALS- my last piece of advice seems like the most obvious, but can be hard to follow in the moment.  On vacation most people like to eat lavishly and forget all about their health goals...DON'T!  Even if the people with you partake in overindulging, remember what your goals are and that you can't reach them if keep holding yourself back.  They may look at you strangely, but who cares..are you doing it for them?? NOPE.  It's just for you so stay strong!  I'll keep you updated with some on-the-go workouts and meals while I'm gone :)

Also, I have to keep you updated on CrossFit..DUH!  I am loving it, still.  One of the coaches put it best the other night, "Embrace The Suck!"  He meant that yeah it's going to suck and it's going to be hard, but embrace that part because you will come out SO much stronger and prouder of yourself for finishing.  Which is so true because I cannot honestly remember the last time I pushed myself this hard. I literally finish EVERY SINGLE workout by collapsing on the ground because there is nothing else left in me.  Maybe that's why I love it so much; it's the EXACT same feeling I get after completing a marathon.  It is also SO humbling to be back in the athlete/team atmosphere.  I know I am strong and can push myself, but to see that I have so much farther to go before I am as strong as some of the other girls at my gym motivates me.  I want to be able to push press over 150# or do a muscle up without breaking a sweat!!  I did however get a rope climb (15 feet for the first time EVER..couldn't have done it without them pushing me).
My yummy rope burn.  Note to self:  don't wear short shorts to a rope climb


I also am obsessed with the gym:  http://crossfithydro.blogspot.com/ if you're interested in learning more.  It is more than working hard.  It's like a community- we workout together, we cheer each other on, challenge each other to move faster or lift heavier, and hang out after the workouts.  I feel at home again being a part of a team atmosphere again :)
Hanging out after a WOD


Here's an example of a couple our WODs:

#1 3 sets of Push Presses (3x is one set)
     2 sets of Jerks (2x is one set)
     1 set of Split Jerks (1x is one set)
    2mins of as many squat jumps as you could get
I did 83# for push presses and 93# for both jerks and split jerks, and got 72 (I think) squat jumps


#2  7 Rounds of:
      10 pull-ups (chin over bar)
      20 burpees (no push-up)
      30 stick jumps
 I had to scale mine and use a blue band to help me kip up to the pull-ups and used a 16" bench instead of 20", but I finished in 19:30!!


Here's what I tend to look like after only 20mins of balls to the wall!!!
Even my baby muscles are showing through!



I'll finish up with some FUN pictures of the Warrior Dash I did in Iowa with my sister-in-law, my brother, and some of her friends!!

FIRE JUMPER- Channeling some Hunger Games 

Before the Mess


Post Dash

Me and My sister-in-law

Yeah, we're pretty tough!


No comments:

Post a Comment