Sunday, January 15, 2012

Balls to the Walls

Hey there!

So this week I'm covering quite a few topics, but they all still fall under the idea of New Year's Resolutions and making myself new and improved!

First off, this year I have decided I've really wanted to push past all my mental limits that I've put up for myself.  My first step towards this was signing up for my first Triathlon (technically haven't signed up, but starting to train).  I LOVE LOVE marathons.  I live, breathe, and do everything for marathons.  It is no longer a hobby, but rather my lifestyle.  I noticed this summer though becoming unmotivated and really having to push myself to go out and run.  After Chicago, I decided I needed to take a break and do something different.  So, I thought why not a tri?  Even better, why not the Omaha Women's Tri?  Then when my trainer told me I had to start training and swimming.  The scariest words to me, swimming.  I DO know how to swim, but I was taught by my grandma in her swimming pool in Texas.  She taught me the basics, so I didn't drown when I was swimming with my brothers and cousins.  I learned how to "froggy" swim and float on my back.  Apparently, neither of those will get you through a tri..not even a sprint tri.  My trainer told what I should be doing with my arms, breathing, and legs in a basic freestyle.  When I went to the gym Wednesday night all I could think about while I was lifting was getting in that pool and looking stupid.  After lifting I had a little talk myself, "you're the one that wanted to push yourself harder.  No one is going to make you get in the pool, no one is going to be upset if you went home right now, but you know you'll be pissed if you don't do this." So, I put on my brand new AWESOME swimsuit I got just for tri training.  When I got in the pool I decided to just do what my trainer said.  I moved my arms and legs and counted to three and took a breath, moved my arms, counted to three, breathe.  By the time I got to the other side of the pool I thought I was going to DIE!!  I immediately started freaking out:  I ran 4 marathons and can't get to the other side of the pool.  How am I going to do this tri?  Am I really that out of shape?  After my mini freak out I decided it was time to keep moving.  After about 30 minutes of swimming one length, taking a breather, and going back I decided I had done enough damage for one night.  Once I got out and showered I had decided I had officially been converted to the "tri side."  I LOVED swimming.  It was so challenging, but I loved that I had to focus SO much on what each part of my body was doing and my breath that I had completely blocked out the rest of the world.  I was entirely immersed into training.  I can't wait til I actually get my training schedule tomorrow from my trainer (expect to see another post SOON).

In keeping with pushing myself I decided to try another "workout" that I had never imagined I'd ever do or could do.  I tried Bikram Yoga yesterday.  For people that don't know what Bikram is, it's a style of yoga that is done in a small (and I mean SMALL) room with 20-30 other people that is heated anywhere from 90-110 degrees.  It's 90 minutes long, 26 poses, and each pose is done 2 times.  The first time it's done for longer (1-2min) for endurance and the next time it's done for shorter time (15-30 sec).  It is supposed to help with lung strength and expansion.  Along with detoxification with all the sweating.  I went in with no expectations other than to go outside my comfort zone.  At first, I wasn't too sure- you open with this weird breathing exercise of deep breath in (6 counts) and deep breath out (6 counts).  The further I got into the class and the more I sweated the more I found myself getting deeper into the stretches.  Somewhere between the deep breathing, pouring sweat, and the eagle pose I fell in love with Bikram.  Maybe it was a daze from working in the heat or if it was the mindset of Bikram (leave all judgements at the door, anyone can do this if they allow themselves to let go).  I think it was the mindset, but I CAN'T wait to go back!!

Me after teaching spin, lifting, running (30min), and Bikram...just a little sweaty.

Now that I've talked quite a bit about working out I'll switch to the nutrition side.  My nutrition challenge this past week was to drink at least 64oz of water (outside of what I use in workouts), cup of tea daily, eating clean, and tracking my food everyday.  I can proudly say I did it EVERYDAY!!  I have felt AMAZING (besides the sore muscles)...I feel so much more energized and happy.  It's hard because of all the cheats available, but I just have to keep telling myself why I'm doing this and that it's not going to be easy.  I am still allowing myself ONE cheat day a week.  My cheat day consists of NOT working out (so my body can truly rest and rebuild) and not worrying about what I eat.  Today, I got to enjoy my brother's grilling while watching the NFL games with my family.  This morning I also treated myself to some yummy protein pancakes..that are surprisingly clean.

Protein Pancakes:
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1/2 banana mashed
2 egg whites
1 tbsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients and cook on griddle, sprinkle with truvia and ENJOY!

I also cooked some DELICIOUS cinnamon apple chips for the football games:

slice apple, sprinkle with cinnamon, put in oven at 400 degrees cook on each side for 30 minutes until crispy on outside and soft on the inside.


My challenge this next week is going to be based off the BODYRock.tv blog.  http://www.bodyrock.tv/ They're a workout blog/website all about clean eating and at-home workouts FOR FREE!  One of their trainers or "bodyrockers" started a 30-day challenge that I started Friday with the Fit Test.  It's pretty much a 12-15 min tabata training plan.  Tabata is a circuit training workout on steriods.  Traditional tabata has 6-8 exercises done from 20 secs (as many as you can get) and 10 sec rest.  The BodyRock workouts have been 50 secs on 10 sec rest.  I want to work on my speed for my race since I only have to run 3.1 miles, so I need to incorporate some nterval/circuit training.  After lifting I've done the fit test and fit day #2 workout and ended on the ground dripping sweat and shaking!!  12 minutes and I'm dripping and shaking--my kind of workout!!  I will start adding my stats for each workout and the workouts themselves.  The diet side of it is pretty much clean eating, but it makes 5 rules that make it a lot easier to understand.  
THE RULES:
1. I will eat veggies 5x per day, with every meal, and they will be 2 cup size portion
2. I will eat lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, egg whites, cottage cheese- low fat) 5x per day and the portion size will be no bigger than the palm of my hand (about 4 oz)
3. I will eat every 3 hours
4. I will only eat carbs (outside of veggies) with breakfast or within 2 hours of a hard workout
5. I will drink 2 liters of water per day, 1 cup of tea per day, and only black coffee.  No pop (not that I drink it anyway), no sugary juices, no alcohol.

It's going to be challenging, but nothing worth having is, right?  I think this is why I LOVE exercise and nutrition so much.  There is no easy way to reach your goal.  You can use all the diet pills and plans you want and you MAY get the hot body you've always wanted, but I GUARANTEE if you didn't do it the old school way (clean eating and exercising regularly) it will NOT last.  I like that whoever you are, whatever level you're at, if you don't put in the time at the gym, don't prepare your foods properly, and don't make sacrifices you WILL NOT succeed (in the long run).  

ALSO, I was SOO happy that one of my close friends, Kelsey, texted me today if I would help him get into shape and live healthier with workouts and nutrition advice.  I'm SOO excited people are coming to ME for exercise and nutrition advice..it makes me feel AMAZING.  Not only because they see me as a source of some knowledge of exercise and nutrition, but they want me to become a process of their road to a new them!!  It made me realize that I am finally where I'm supposed to be, on the road to helping people become healthier and stronger!  Can't wait to help others as well :)

Well I think that's enough for now!  Til next time and one step closer to a hardbody,
Mo
  

No comments:

Post a Comment