Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gotta Tri



Today I survived AND LOVED my first triathlon in my hometown.  It was an amazing experience that I won't forget and plan to go back for more!  It was not only a very well run race, but everyone was so positive and we were all cheering each other on, especially during the bike ride.

The race started pretty much the day before.  I had to attend a race briefing to learn about the course and rules since it was a USAT sanctioned race with USAT officials attending.  I also had to set up my bike in the transition area before I could go home to relax.


After relaxing and icing sore muscles I decided to try and catch some sleep (it wasn't very successful).  I was up again at about 3:30am because I had to be at the race course at 5am to get chipped and marked up and to finish setting up my transition area before the area closed at 5:45am.  The transition area I keep referring to is pictured above.  It is the area that is blocked off from spectators and it is where the athletes keep all their gear for each of the legs of the race (bike, helmet, towel, bike shorts, run top/shorts, shoes, etc.).  Here's some pictures pre-race!!

Transition all set
The lake right before we got in..a lot prettier than it was when we got in!

Getting body marked
Me right before the swim



Then we lined up at 6am (yes, it was still dark) at the edge of the water according to our swim caps.  I had a pink swim cap since I was in the women's sprint division.  After waiting about 15mins and trying to keep myself warm because it was finally a little chilly in the morning. We walked down the ramp into the water (which was 80 degrees, so it felt like a hot tub!) and took off!  I had practiced in a pool since January, but unfortunately never got the chance to open water swim.  It was eye opening!!  Water constantly in your mouth, having to avoid people's flailing feet, and getting used to not being able to see anything whenever I put my face under the water.  I had practiced a freestyle stroke and also practiced a little side stroke and breath stroke in case I got super tired.  Well after about 5 feet I took to the breath stroke.  It was much harder, but it kept me calmer because during the freestyle I kept running into people and was panicking every time my mouth because filled with nasty lake water.  I tried to keep my mind off the fact that I had .5 swim in front of me, so I just counted strokes.  I would do 10 breath, 10 left side, 10 right side, and it actually went pretty smooth and quick from there.  It took me about 25min to get through the water.  

Next, I ran out of the water and back into the transition area to get ready for my 12.4 mile bike ride.  It was going to be hilly, but they got the course closed (the streets were not open to drivers).  It was a rough route with all the hills, but I am so glad I had been training on the hills around my house because, man did that pay off today!  I was on my little Walmart mountain bike, but I could tell how much stronger I had gotten because I would fly by other people on mountain bikes, especially on the hills. 

Transition #1: swim to bike

Hoping on my bike!
After getting back from the bike ride; I hopped off and ran through the transition and off to my last leg (and what I was most looking forward to), the run.  It was just a 5K, but it was on an unpaved trail, which was great for my knees, but was a little rough on my ankles since I haven't gotten to train on unpaved trails in a while.  It was awesome though and my favorite part!!

Transition #2: bike to run

FINISH

Overall, it took me 1:57:32..I'm not sure if that is good or not, but I'm just so excited I finished!!  I was even more excited that I didn't need help from any of the staff in kayaks during the swim..I did it all by myself :)  

Days like these (where I push myself to limits I didn't think I could pass) make all those months and bad days of training worth it.  It was worth all soreness, training injuries, EVERYTHING.  Will I be signing up for another...you bet!!  Unfortunately, it probably won't be until next spring because the season is winding down since it gets harder due to water temperatures.  

I don't have any races on my calendar for the rest of this year (crazy to think that since I haven't had a time of year I haven't been training since my freshman year of college..maybe??) so I am going to focus on my strength and speed.  I want to be conditioned enough to be able to run a 10K whenever I want, so I will keep at least one longer run a week.  I will also keep up with the running and swimming because the cross training has kept me injury free better than anything else.  I'm also going to work extra hard at CrossFit.  I am LOVING that as well.  I love the feeling of getting stronger!!  

Since my workouts will not be so cardio focused my nutrition will also be adjusted.  I'll move to more protein and fat and less carbs.  I'll keep updates on how that is going, but now I will finish and leave with some finishing pictures!!

My best cheerleader!   She comes to all my races.

The night before the race: apparently they didn't get that we were trying to relax!

3 comments:

  1. Girl, I am SO inspired by your post! I've been toying with the idea of doing a sprint Triathlon, and your post helped break down the times/speed in which it would be done.
    Fabulous blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it..hope you sign up for one soon. It really was a BLAST and a good change from running marathons because by the time I was tired of swimming, it was time for the bike. Once I was tired of biking, it was time to run. Well the run I didn't get bored because I really got to stretch my legs out and run since it was just a 5K!

      Delete
  2. I loved the detail you put into this post! I've never done a triathlon so it was great to read how it went in detail. Congrats on finishing under 2 hours!

    ReplyDelete