Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Left a Woman Came Back a Ragnarian!


I did it!! I was a part of a 12-person, 2-day, 200 mile relay race through Minnesota.  There was definitely SOO many emotions involved- nervous, excitement, scared, happy, proud, exhaustion...my list could go on and on.

What does it mean to be a Ragnarian??  Well, get ready to get PERSONAL with your van members!!  You start out with 2 vans per team, 6 people in each van, and hopefully a designated driver as well.  Each person has a leg that they chose (or were given) months (or in my case, days) beforehand.  Each leg contains 3 runs.  One team member runs while their van leap frogs them every few miles (or whatever they decide on) until they finish their run and pass the bracelet onto the next team member.  You do this until you finish 200 miles!! The catch is: there's no hotel stays, no showers, and no stopping when the sun sets.  Yep, that's right NO showers and you run through the night.  The night run was actually my favorite and by the end of it all everyone smells so bad (including myself) that you don't even notice (or maybe I was so exhausted to care anymore).

I was pulled in last minute (literally 4 days before leaving) by my sister-in-law and I am SO glad I decided to go.  I met some AMAZING people and made some great friendships.  It's so much fun because everyone lets loose (quickly) and you get to know your van members QUICKLY!  I have memories and nicknames from this one race that will last a lifetime, like "the hobbit" "the little engine that could" and "sleepy mcsleepster."  Clearly, that last one was made sometime in the wee hours of the morning.

I know that was a really quick explanation, but I think you get the gist.  If you want one amazing, unforgettable weekend with friends or complete strangers, to test your fitness, and push your mind and body past your limits...GO DO RAGNAR!! They're all over- Minnesota, Key West, California, Colorado, and Cape Cod (to name a few).  Here's some more pictures of the awesomeness!!

I ran up that hill!

What we found the first night..awkward

Our van decorated..and we got tagged by another team

After my first run

The sweet medals (doubles as a beer opener)

Awaiting our final leg!

Right before my 2nd run in the middle of the night..note the glow sticks

Uncle Rico's van from Napolean Dynamite was at Ragnar GR!

No comments:

Post a Comment