Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hi My Name is Mo and I have a PB Addiction...

This is a safe zone.  Admit it, you have one too...or at least to something.  There's a food you reach for when you have a craving or just a plain bad day.  Mine isn't ice cream, Cheetos, or a bag of greasy chips.  It's a nice juicy peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  I don't know what's in between those two pieces of soft, delicate bread that makes my world feel safe again.  Maybe there's some psychological connection between them and my childhood, so I feel like I have no responsibilities and I feel innocent again.  Or more likely....they just taste DAMN good..mmmmmm!

Now, every time I have a mood change or a bad day do I reach for the PB jar??  NO!!  A majority of the time I don't let my emotions dictate how I eat, but every once in a blue moon there's nothing a PB and Jelly won't fix.  Unfortunately, my goals to get stronger and a little leaner don't mix well with soft, delicate pieces of bread coated in peanut butter and sweet jelly.  I have made some adjustments, so that both sides of me can be happy.  Instead of bread, I use one small low-carb, high fiber multi grain tortilla.  Then instead of creamy peanut butter, I use PB2.  It's a dry powder...all it is is crushed peanuts.  I mix 1 part water with 2 parts PB2..much healthier.  Then instead of sweet, sugary jelly I use a organic jelly that is crushed or mashed fruit.  Right now in my fridge is blueberry, so all it is is mashed up blueberries...YUM!  I put a THIN coat of PB2 and jelly on the tortilla, heat it in the microwave, and roll it up.  DELICIOUS!!

What point am I trying to make with this post?  (Well nothing really, but if I must) I just want you to realize that you don't have to give up your favorite foods when you have a health goal in mind.  When you cut out certain food groups or deprive yourself from the foods you love, you'll most likely get discouraged, and give up.  Instead, make modifications to your favorite recipes.  If you love fried chicken..why not try crushing almonds and covering the chicken in almonds and cooking it like that.  You still get your crunchy chicken, but it's almonds..NOT fried fat.  If you love salt and sweet..try a small 100 calorie of popcorn and put a couple pieces of dark chocolate in it.

This also brings up the next box in my TO DO list.  I want to make a recipe for a protein bar or granola.  I LOVE protein bars and granola, but unfortunately most bars and granola you buy at the store are full of additives and sugar or fake sugars.  I also want to make it gluten free because I noticed I tend to do A LOT better when I use less gluten in my diet.  If there's anything you LOVE in your granola or protein bars..let me know!  I'll keep you updated on how the science project goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment