Friday, October 12, 2012

Back to Endurance Racing...

Also, in my exciting news: I have signed up for more races!! The last two "endurance" races I had done were: my 5th marathon in June and my first sprint triathlon in August. I have done a couple other shorter races (5K and 10K) because I am trying to focus more on my speed and strength. Plus, if you've never done a distance race; it is MENTALLY TAXING. I LOVE my marathons because they have taught me how strong I am physically and mentally, but by the time that 5th one came around I was ready to be done for a while. I really liked the triathlon for the same reason, but it was a little easier mentally because by the time I was sick of one event it was time to move to the next one. I had decided I needed a break from endurance racing, especially with my last year of college and a part-time job approaching. I switched gears to shorter distances and fell in love all over.
I had done cross country in high school, but only as a way to stay in shape for soccer. After running my first 5K since high school, I wanted more! I enjoyed getting to run fast and not having to save anything in my tank for multiple hours of running. Then, this week my sister-in-law (who got me to do my first half, my first marathon, and all the marathons and half's since) called me about the Cowtown Marathon in February in Fort Worth, TX.

My rockstar sister-in-law and me after completing RAGNAR
(2 Days of relay running, no sleep, and no showers)

 She said her and my brother were going to run the full and that I should think about doing it. Well, I know that mentally I am not ready for a full; I still need a little seperation period before I put myself through the ringer again (not that I don't enjoy it). Also, we figured it would be a perfect family reunion because a majority of my mom's siblings and my grandma live in Fort Worth AND are runners (yes, my entire family is crazy). I met her in the middle and said that I would do the half because it would require some training, but I wouldn't have to worry about getting a 20-mile run completed while I'm studying for finals. SO, what does this have to do with ENERGYBits??
Well, I am going to be using ENERGYBits as my source of fuel before and during my training and during my race! In case you didn't know, endurance racers have to refuel during the event because eventually your body burns through your energy stores and wants to start taking it out of your muscles UNLESS you give it more energy to take from. I have tried GUs, other gels, blocks, beans..you name it; I've consumed it. Unfortunately, I have one of the most tempermental stomachs and EVERYTHING has done unimaginable things to my digestive system during a race.  I will keep you updated on how these little bits will push me through my runs and workouts!!

People have started asking me if I will be putting CrossFit on the back burner now that I'm adding in more races.  The answer is NO NO NO!  One because I am obsessed/addicted (whatever word you want) to CrossFit.  It has made me stronger and faster as a runner, so I won't stop!  If you need some more evidence that lifting/strength training will improve your running; take a look at Blonde Ponytail's blogpost about running and CrossFit. 

For now here is my upcoming race schedule:
October 28th- 5K
November 22- Trail 5K
February 22- Half Marathon

Is this likely to change?  MOST DEFINITELY. 
Do I have times in mind?  YES, I'd like to PR on all of them.  For the 5K that means anything under 24:30 and for the half I'd like to be under 1:55.  I will keep you updated with my training schedules (once I figure them out) and how EnergyBits is helping me push through and improve my training!!

Are you registered for any upcoming races?  Do you take anything pre-workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment