Friday, March 15, 2013

The Positives in Failures

Another post/rant about why I LOVE Crossfit.  I know you probably see these all over the place and I know I've written about it, but hey maybe there's something to this..maybe Crossfit is really THAT great! 


The reason I started crossfit (deep down the REAL, god honest reason):
I wanted to LOOK HOT.  Let's be honest everyone wants to look good.  People want to be that person that the crowd turns around and takes a double take because they can't believe their eyes.  We're all a little vain..and there's nothing wrong with this.  When I originally started crossfit, I wanted to look like Ms. Justine Munroe (pictured- found on RxMuscle.com).

I wanted to compete in a competition because I wanted those abs.  I never have had abs, so I figured I'd be happy if I could just get those cuts.  Well I found out quickly that my priorities changed....

 
What I got from crossfit (it wasn't the hot bod):  Okay, yes my muscles have grown and I am a little more toned, but not in any extreme fashion.  What I got from crossfit was something totally different:
- I became stronger
- I became more flexible
- I feel stronger, more independent
- I feel more confident in my own skin
- I feel more confident on my views
- I am more determined and have a stronger will power
- I EMBRACE THE SUCK

Why I stay, even though I fail: People have asked me why I do crossfit- I'm not as strong (or will ever be) as many of the elite.  I have many goats (weaknesses) and am still working on...well, everything (pull-ups, lifts, gymnastics, etc.).  My response/defense is that I wasn't ever going to win a marathon, not even close, but I still ran because why let failure stop you?

If we avoided things we weren't good at or failed at; how would we grow?  How would we find out what we're good at?  That's why I love crossfit.  Many of the people at my box will never compete in The Games or even be considered a "contender."  I'm okay with that because even though we fail at one point or another, we're always there for each other!!

Even though I may not complete a WOD, I can tell I'm progressing. I didn't finish Monday's WOD:
3 Rounds-
10 Pullups
30 Double Unders.

At first, I was pissed.  I wanted to walk away and mope, but then I had to think of something to take away.  What did I decide to take away??  It was my first WOD EVER I did unassisted pull-ups.  I always had to use some sort of band, even a really really thin one.   But I did this one all on my own and I was pretty damn proud of myself!

 
The final point and reason behind my post: The Open


The Crossfit Open is 1 WOD a week from March 5-April 7.  You can try each WOD as many times that week, as you would like.  Just make sure your score is in by that Sunday.  Nothing can be scaled, so if you can't lift a weight; you just keep trying and trying. 

I was terrified last week.

WOD Week 1:
17min AMRAP
40 Burpees
30 Snatches (45#)
30 Burpees
30 Snatches (75#)
20 Burpees
30 Snatches (100#)
10 Burpees
As Many Snatches at 120# for remainder of time

I had only ever snatched 73# and it was THAT Thursday!  How in the world was I going to do 75# two days later?  Well, I didn't but it was a great learning experience and I couldn't be happier that I did it.  Did I do well..hell no, but my friends from my box were still cheering me on.  How could you want to be a part of that community?
 
Tomorrow I'll be trying Week 2 WOD:
 
10min AMRAP:
5 Shoulder to Overhead (75#)--thank god I just got 100# on my split jerk!
10 Deadlifts (same weight)
15 Box Jumps (20in)
 
 
I know it doesn't look difficult, but I think my biggest struggle will be fatigue.  It's easy to get cocky and think I'll knock this out, but going too quick on deadlifts could ruin my box jumps.  I guess only time will tell...literally.





No comments:

Post a Comment